does anyone know the accuracy of heart rate monitors when they report calories burned? It allows me to enter my weight, and mine is female specific (I think, cuz it's pink)...but it says after an hour and a half of working out that I've burned over 1000 cals! I just highly doubt that....even some calculators online seem to over estimate...like I don't even believe I've burned 500 cals on a step machine in an hour...that just seems too easy. Any advice?
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I think the only way its really accurate is if it has a heart rate monitor, so it can tell how hard your working. I mean, some of us have run for 10 years straight and some of us just started yesterday, so the energy expended will be different, you know?
Also, I would try using different machines with different programs (hill climb, interval, fat burn, cross country, etc) and see what the different calorie counts are.
Also, this is a pretty good site: http://www.nutritiondata.com/tools/calories-burned
How strange, I have wanted to get a heart rate monitor and calorie counter... so hopefully you figure out if it's bugged!
Post a Comment